AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis About Howard Lake Howard Lake is a digital fundraising entrepreneur. Publisher of UK Fundraising, the world’s first web resource for professional fundraisers, since 1994. Trainer and consultant in digital fundraising. Founder of Fundraising Camp and co-founder of GoodJobs.org.uk. Researching massive growth in giving. DEC receives £300,000 in online donations in less than one day Howard Lake | 29 December 2004 | News Tagged with: Digital Research / statistics Brendan Gormley, DEC Chief Executive said: “This is a phenomenal response rate. The plight of the tsunami victims has clearly touched the hearts of the British public. Once the telephone and radio broadcasts are shown, we are hoping that this already amazing figure will double overnight.”Given the online donations were made before the TV and radio appeals, so were presumably based on public response solely to news reports, it is interesting to ponder how much more could have been raised online if the online donation facility had been launched at the same time as the telephone hotline. By 19.36 this evening £300,000 had been donated online in under 12 hours to the Disasters Emergency Committee’s Tsunami Earthquake Appeal.These and other donations were made even before the television and radio appeals had been broadcast.Within the first 24 hours of the appeal over £5 million has been donated. By this evening the DEC had received 138,000 phone calls. Advertisement 26 total views, 2 views today AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis
Although an Istanbul court today convicted 27 defendants, mostly members of the state security forces or intelligence officials, for their role in Turkish newspaper editor Hrant Dink’s murder in 2007, Reporters Without Borders (RSF) insists that justice has not yet been fully rendered and says everyone connected with this crime must be tried in court. News News RSF_en TurkeyEurope – Central Asia Condemning abuses DisappearancesImpunityFreedom of expression March 26, 2021 Turkish journalist’s murder trial verdict “leaves bitter taste” News Receive email alerts This was the second time the ECHR has been asked to issue a ruling in connection with the murder. In September 2010, it ordered Turkey to pay 133,000 euros in compensation for failing to protect Dink’s right to life and for violating his right to freedom of expression. Four of the defendants were sentenced to life imprisonment on a charge of “attempted subversion.” Eight others were sentenced to an average of seven years in prison for membership of the organisation led by Fethullah Gülen, the US-based Islamic scholar who allegedly masterminded the abortive coup attempt in Turkey in July 2016. Thirty-three other persons were acquitted and 16 were not included in the verdict (because the cases of 13 of them were separated from this trial, the charges were dropped against two others and one defendant died before start of the trial). The Dink family intends to appeal against today’s verdicts. to go further The defendants – mostly police officers but also other state apparatus officials based in Istanbul, Ankara and Trabzon – had been prosecuted for the past six years on a range of charges including “knowingly failing to take measures to protect” Dink, “abuse of office” and membership of the Gülen organisation. Turkey is ranked 154th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2020 World Press Freedom Index. A journalist and intellectual of Armenian origin, Dink was gunned down on an Istanbul street outside the office of Agos, the weekly newspaper he edited, on 19 January 2007. In 2019, Dink family lawyer Hakan Bakircioglu asked the European Court of Human Rights to examine a Turkish judicial decision not to prosecute 26 people regarded as responsible for smear and hate campaigns against Dink prior to his murder. Follow the news on Turkey April 2, 2021 Find out more “This long trial and these convictions must not give the impression that justice has finally been rendered,” said RSF Turkey representative Erol Önderoglu, who observed today’s trial hearing. “Some of those responsible for Hrant Dink’s murder, including the instigators, have still not been prosecuted. Some of the charges on which the defendants were convicted today also suggest that this trial was used to exact political revenge on Fethullah Gülen supporters who used to hold senior positions in the state apparatus. This partial justice rendered after 14 years leaves a bitter taste and, above all, must not signify the end of the search for the truth.” Help by sharing this information Journalists threatened with imprisonment under Turkey’s terrorism law Turkey’s never-ending judicial persecution of former newspaper editor Organisation News Certain senior officials linked to Turkey’s National Intelligence Organization (MİT) and military high command were excluded from this investigation and trial. The court is supposed to subsequently address the cases of 13 defendants who are missing or cannot be located. They include Gülen himself, former anti-terrorism prosecutor Zekeriya Öz, who fled to Germany, and the journalists Adem Yavuz Arslan and Ekrem Dumanlı. Press point of “Friends of Hrant Dink” in front of the courthouse in Istanbul on the day of the verdict (c) Fatoş Erdogan April 28, 2021 Find out more Today, 27 of the 76 persons accused in connection with his murder were given prison sentences ranging from three years to life. Those convicted included former national police intelligence section chief Ramazan Akyürek and former intelligence department section chief Ali Fuat Yilmazer. April 2, 2021 Find out more TurkeyEurope – Central Asia Condemning abuses DisappearancesImpunityFreedom of expression Human rights groups warns European leaders before Turkey summit Of the 76 persons accused of having at least some degree of involvement in Dink’s murder, seven were in preventive detention. This was the third trial in connection with the murder. At total of seven persons were given prison sentences at the end of the first two trials, including the shooter, Ogün Samast, who was 17 at the time, the person who planned the shooting, and police officers and other state officials.