RSF_en September 7, 2007 – Updated on January 25, 2016 Call to keep special country investigator system and the right to criticise religion Reporters Without Borders said today the UN Human Rights Council was “still badly falling down on its job” after only a year in existence and called for the system of UN special rapporteurs to investigate human rights in individual countries to be maintained. Reporters Without Borders said today the UN Human Rights Council was “still badly falling down on its job” after only a year in existence and called for the system of UN special rapporteurs to investigate human rights in individual countries to be maintained.It noted that the mandates of the rapporteurs on Cuba and Belarus, two of the world’s worst violators of press freedom, had not been renewed in May, and that now Sudan, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Somalia and Burundi were trying to get rid of the rapporteurs assigned to them. Rights were being seriously violated every day in these countries and if they were not closely monitored and exposed by the UN, the Council would be useless, the worldwide press freedom organisation said on the eve of the Council’s sixth session, due to run from 10 to 28 September.Reporters Without Borders also voiced “very great concern” about efforts by some countries, especially members of the Islamic Conference Organisation (ICO), to stifle freedom of expression in the name of respecting religion. It called on UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Louise Arbour, who is due to speak about this during the Council’s session, to refuse to apply a resolution on insulting religion being proposed by Pakistan.“This is a dangerous resolution because under cover of combating insults to religion, which is a noble cause, it would make it a crime to criticise religion and says freedom of expression can be restricted by law. We fear the consequences, especially in view of laws in some of the countries behind the resolution.“Why does Islam get special treatment? Followers of other religions are not mentioned in the resolution, whether Christians, Buddhists or Jews. Is it a coincidence that the resolution is sponsored by the ICO, by countries that crack down on believers in other religions? “We all welcome progress towards tolerance and respect for religion, so imposing on the media a code of conduct that forbids satire, teasing, cartoons, commentary and freedom of expression about it is unacceptable. The media’s job is not to promote tolerance and respect for all religions and their values. Their only duty is to keep the public informed as well and as fully as possible even if this disturbs the beliefs of this or that religious believer. The Human Rights Council was set up in June 2006 to replace the former Human Rights Commission, which had become totally discredited because of manoeuvres and obstruction by some member-states. News Help by sharing this information Organisation
Top StoriesBreaking: Supreme Court To Pronounce Judgment On Pleas Seeking Loan Moratorium Extension Tomorrow LIVELAW NEWS NETWORK22 March 2021 5:36 AMShare This – xThe Supreme Court will pronounce its judgment tomorrow on a batch of petitions which seek the extension of the 6 month loan moratorium period granted by the Reserve Bank of India.The Court had reserved the Judgment on December 17 last year after hearing petitioners, Centre, RBI and intervenors. A bench comprising Justices DY Chandrachud, MR Shah and Sanjiv Khanna will be pronouncing…Your free access to Live Law has expiredTo read the article, get a premium account.Your Subscription Supports Independent JournalismSubscription starts from ₹ 599+GST (For 6 Months)View PlansPremium account gives you:Unlimited access to Live Law Archives, Weekly/Monthly Digest, Exclusive Notifications, Comments.Reading experience of Ad Free Version, Petition Copies, Judgement/Order Copies.Subscribe NowAlready a subscriber?LoginThe Supreme Court will pronounce its judgment tomorrow on a batch of petitions which seek the extension of the 6 month loan moratorium period granted by the Reserve Bank of India.The Court had reserved the Judgment on December 17 last year after hearing petitioners, Centre, RBI and intervenors. A bench comprising Justices DY Chandrachud, MR Shah and Sanjiv Khanna will be pronouncing the verdict.The petitioners seek the extension of the 6-month period moratorium on loan recoveries, which was announced by the Reserve Bank on account of the COVID-19 pandemic.Reserve Bank of India issued a Notification dated 27.03.2020 to permit banks and financial institutions to grant a moratorium of 03 months on payments of all instalments of term loans falling due between March 1st 2020 and May 31st, 2020. This period was later extended by another 3 months till August 31, 2020.The petitioners had initially sought extension of the moratorium up to December 31. One of the Petitioners, Advocate Vishal Tiwari, later sought extension upto March 31, 2021, stating that the current situation demands and necessitates the same.On November 19, the Centre had urged the Court to not intervene and provide further relief to borrowers under Article 32 as the Government was already “on top of it”.Solicitor General Tushar Mehta told the Court that many relief packages and schemes had been worked out with technical experts and the intervention of the Court in fiscal policy issues was uncalled for.On November 28, 2020, a bench led by Justice Ashok Bhushan had disposed of another set of pleas which sought for the waiver of interest during the 6 month loan moratorium period. The bench, also comprising Justices R Subhash Reddy and MR Shah, directed the Centre to implement the decision taken by the Centre to forego interest for 8 specified categories up to Rs 2 crores.The categories in which the Centre and the RBI agreed to waive compound interest during the loan moratorium period are :(i) MSME loans up to Rs. 2 crore(ii) Education loans up to Rs. 2 crore(iii) Housing loans up to Rs. 2 crore(iv) Consumer durable loans up to Rs. 2 crore(v) Credit card dues up to Rs. 2 crore(vi) Automobile loans up to Rs. 2 crore(vii) Personal loans to professionals up to Rs. 2 crore(viii) Consumption loans up to Rs. 2 crore Subscribe to LiveLaw, enjoy Ad free version and other unlimited features, just INR 599 Click here to Subscribe. All payment options available.loading….Next Story
Largely as a result of the ‘slider’ reforms, net outflows from the funds to the state Social Insurance Institution (ZUS), exceed inflows. The slider was previously introduced as a payout phase reform to incrementally transfer the OFE savings of those with 10 or fewer years left before retirement to ZUS.According to the development ministry’s projections, this deficit is set to rise from PLN1.8bn (€406m) in 2016 to PLN4.6bn by 2025.According to the government’s timetable, of the PLN140bn accumulated in OFE schemes, PLN103bn would be transferred, as of 1 January 2018, to individual retirement accounts (IKEs), with each saver receiving the same amount, around PLN6,300, irrespective of how much they had saved thus far.Most Poles do not have an IKE, a vehicle offered by Polish pension fund companies, as well as insurance companies, banks, brokerages and investment fund companies.As of the end of 2015, just under 859,000 had been set up, compared with some 16.5m OFE accounts, including around 2.5m where members are continuing to contribute.The remaining PLN35bn that would subsequently move to FUS would consist of assets other than Polish equities, thus avoiding any charges of nationalisation.The third leg of the plan involves a new, employment savings system, Workers’ Capital Plans (PPKs), with employers and employees each contributing 2% of wages into the plans.If the participants add a further contribution, of 1% from employers and 2% from employees, a PPK would receive a “welcome sweetener” of PLN250,000.The development ministry estimates that the revised system would increase eventual pension payouts from an average third of the final salary to a half.Morawiecki did not explain how a transfer of funds from the second pillar to the third would improve the capital financing called for in his Responsible Development Plan announced in February.Morawiecki’s announcement followed on from a weekend beset by intensifying speculation over the future of the OFEs.On Saturday Jarosław Kaczyński, speaking after his unopposed re-election as leader of the ruling Law & Justice (PiS) party, said the government had to address the problem of OFE funds, which were losing value but could be used to fund projects that would benefit Polish households.Separately, Reuters reported that seven medium-sized WSE-listed companies in which OFEs held a high share were planning share buybacks as a defence against changes in the pensions system that could lead to their having the state as a significant stakeholder.Reuters named two companies, debt collector Kruk and property developer Robyg.Concern over a radical overhaul started in May following a report that the government planned to merge the OFEs into a single fund managed by state insurer PZU, a move that would have given the state significant voting rights in some of Poland’s major listed companies.In one of the first defensive responses, in June, the US fund Media Development Investment Fund bought an 8.3% voting share in Agora, the largest Polish listed publishing company.Agora’s flagship newspaper Gazeta Wyborcza is fiercely critical of the current government and has suffered the consequences with a loss of state institute advertising, as well as pressure on PZU’s pension fund to pull out. Poland’s pensions system is set for a dramatic overhaul that spells the end of the second-pillar (OFE) system.Mateusz Morawiecki, development minister and deputy premier, announced at a press conference today at the Warsaw Stock Exchange that the government plans to transfer three-quarters of the savings held in the OFEs to the third pillar, and the remainder to the Demographic Reserve Fund (FUS), the fund set up in 2002 to cover shortfalls in first-pillar payments.Morawiecki denied the plan represented a nationalisation of the system, describing it rather as a transfer of public funds to the Polish people themselves.The current OFE system, the government believes, is neither effective nor workable.
BRIDGETOWN, Barbados, CMC – West Indies allrounder Kieron Pollard has been granted a No Objection Certificate (NOC) to play in the upcoming Ram Slam T20 competition in South Africa, the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) confirmed on Tuesday.The confirmation from WICB president Michael Muirhead contradicts an earlier report from ESPN cricinfo stating that Pollard was denied a NOC for the tournament starting on Friday.During an interview on Massy United Insurance’s Line & Length Network, Muirhead said it was never the Board’s intention not to grant Pollard an NOC, but rather explain to him why the process on this occasion was taking longer than usual.“It was not denying him any NOC it was explaining to him why it was taking longer. Normally we would have responded so in seven days he would have gotten it,” explained Muirhead.“But I think it went over. But before the seven days expired I said let me explain to him why it is taking a little longer time and it is because we have written to all the boards , the presidents and CEOs”.WICB’s letter to presidents and CEOs of all the ICC Full Member boards has notified them of its new policy to impose a 20 percent levy on the contract fees of its players taking part in T20 tournaments overseas.Cricinfo reported that Muirhead’s letter to Pollard had informed him that permission would not be granted to him until various boards featuring Caribbean players in their Domestic T20 tournaments agree with WICB’s new policy.Muirhead appears to be suggesting that the NOC granted to Pollard, who signed a two-year contract with Cape Cobras last season, is conditional.“We are awaiting a response so we know the timing that’s on it so if we did not receive it from them we would respond to Kieron and provide the NOC weather it be conditional… with the conditions that we explained to him that we are expecting Cricket South Africa to honour a release fee or we are going to defer it,” Muirhead told Line & Length Network.“It’s something on the table and we want to negociate with it. That’s why it is dynamic; it is just the point in time that we responded to Kieron”.