Activists rallied in Detroit’s busy Eastern Market on Saturday morning, June 17, to condemn the attempted murder of a homeless Black man in broad daylight by white supremacist thugs. Members of Workers World Party and the Michigan Peoples Defense Network called the action to condemn the heinous hate crime.On June 1, three racists attacked Randolph Davison as he was sitting outside a mental health treatment center in the historic Eastern Market commercial district of Detroit. The attackers shouted the n-word and repeatedly stabbed and slashed Davison with a knife.Local corporate media described the attack as a “jumping” in which Davison was supposedly stabbed in the leg. However, Davison revealed multiple gashes across his chest at a June 13 press conference held to announce the rally.Organizers say the attack was a hate crime of attempted murder and should be treated as such by the authorities. But, despite heavy security camera coverage of the area, Detroit police have announced no suspects and have made no arrests in the case.The knife attack mirrors other recent white supremacist hate crimes across the country, including the racist murders of Black men in New York and Maryland, as well as the murder of two bystanders who intervened against a white supremacist in Oregon.Activists gathered at the corner of Russell and Wilkins streets in Eastern Market and distributed leaflets condemning the attack on Davison. Speakers analyzed the attack in the context of the gentrification of the Eastern Market area.Under the guise of Detroit’s “revitalization,” the Detroit city government and the wealthy developers that control the city have used Eastern Market, one of the largest farmer’s markets in the U.S., as a tourist attraction for whites coming from the well-off Detroit suburbs and elsewhere.Speakers and protesters said that a hate crime as brazen as Davison’s attempted murder could only have happened in an environment in which racists feel emboldened. Gentrification, along with the racist green light coming from the U.S. president and his cabinet, have provided that environment in Detroit, a majority-African-American city.Activists also contrasted the police response to the attack to the fast arrests of graffiti artists in gentrified areas of Detroit, who are quickly identified via video surveillance and charged.Following the rally, protesters marched down the main thoroughfare of Eastern Market, disrupting the shopping and brunches of market goers and chanting anti-racist messages as well as “Justice for Randolph!” Several passersby joined the march.Detroit police harassed the marchers, at first falsely claiming protesters had no right to assemble on a public sidewalk and then denying that the hate crime ever took place.Several pro-choice clinic escorts also joined WWP and MPDN members at the action.FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmailPrintMoreShare thisFacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmailPrintMoreShare this
The 24-year-old, who spent last season on loan at the KC Stadium, has signed for an undisclosed club-record fee, which it is understood could eventually amount to £8million, on a three-year deal. Livermore told Hull’s official website, www.hullcitytigers.com: “I’m delighted to be joining Hull City on a permanent basis. I thoroughly enjoyed my season here on loan and I firmly believe that this club will keep on going from strength to strength. Press Association Hull have completed the permanent signing of Tottenham midfielder Jake Livermore. “I made my feelings known that I wanted to come here permanently and once the two clubs had agreed the fee, it was very straightforward.” Livermore arrived on Humberside in August last year after the Tigers struck a loan deal with Spurs, and excelled in what proved to be the club’s best top-flight season yet. He made 41 senior appearances as Hull finished in 16th place in their first season back in the top flight and reached the FA Cup final. The club is currently preparing for its maiden European campaign having qualified for the Europa League as a result of its domestic cup exploits. Manager Steve Bruce knows he will have to strengthen his squad to cope with the extra demands, but securing one of his key men from the last campaign represents a major boost. City have been linked with a series of potential targets already this summer with Norwich midfielder Robert Snodgrass the latest.
Osafa Grundall, also known as “Safo” appeared on Tuesday at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts slapped with a murder charge.The 39-year-old man of Lot 40 Freeman Street, East La Penitence, Georgetown, appeared before Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan.The charge stated that on April 25, 2019, at Norton Street, Lodge, while being in the company of others, he shot Marlon Rodney. However, Rodney succumbed to his injuries on April 30.According to the prosecution’s case, Rodney was walking along Norton Street in an eastern direction on the northern side of the road when he was confronted by Grundall, Fraser and another man called “Curl-up”, who exited a tinted white motor vehicle, and an argument ensued.
An anonymous tipster originally led police to the victims, Balian said. The victims were all willing to talk to police, he said. Allen is scheduled to be arraigned today in Burbank Superior Court. [email protected] 818-546-3304 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! GLENDALE – A 53-year-old man who taught catechism classes at two churches has been arrested and charged with molesting three children more than a decade ago, police said Wednesday. Donald Allen of Glendale taught at Glendale Holy Family Catholic Church and St. Dominic’s Church in Eagle Rock until his arrest, said Officer John Balian, a spokesman for the Glendale Police Department. So far, there has been no indication that Allen molested any of the children he met at church or through his volunteer work there, Balian said. The three victims Allen is suspected of molesting are now all adults, Balian said. When Allen knew them, the victims were between the ages of 5 and 12, the officer said. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre “We’re hoping there are no other victims out there,” Balian said. “But maybe … (by) notifying the public of his arrest, we can have more victims forthcoming, and we can give them more closure by having him arrested and put behind bars for a long time.” Balian said he could not disclose how Allen met his victims because investigators want to hear from other potential victims who may have similar stories. Allen, who works as a medical technician, has been charged with 15 counts of sexual assault on a minor. Police say the assaults ended more than a decade ago. Allen remains jailed in lieu of $1.5 million bail. Since Allen’s arrest, the churches have ended his volunteer employment and they have cooperated with investigators, Balian said. Allen was arrested Oct. 23 but police did not immediately disclose the arrest because investigators were trying to determine whether there were additional victims, Balian said.
(CLICK HERE, if you are unable to view this video on your mobile device.)With only a few finishing touches left to complete, the Golden State Warriors showed off their new arena on Monday. The Chase Center in San Francisco hosted members of the media for a quick tour of venue. The 18,000 seat arena won’t be seeing Stephen Curry and company hit the hardwood until October, but concerts are already scheduled for the coming weeks. Metalica and the San Francisco Symphony will be performing on …
Never be embarrassed again when asked if you put the fork on the right side of the geocache or the left. Become a geocaching etiquette champion after watching this quick, fun Geocaching Etiquette video. You’ll develop good trading habits, learn all about trackables, what to do around muggles and more. Watching the video is a great way to add a new confidence and joy to your geocaching adventure in just two minutes.To help those new to geocaching, share your etiquette tips below in comments or on the Geocaching Facebook page.Share with your Friends:More SharePrint RelatedNew Quiz: Do You Know Your Geocaching Manners?August 17, 2015In “Geocaching Quizzes”5 Geocaching Etiquette TipsFebruary 24, 2014In “Community”Trackable Do’s and Don’tsJune 16, 2014In “Learn”
Just days after NBC “The Brave” stars Mike Vogel, Tate Ellington, Demetrius Grosse, Natacha Karam, Noah Mills, Sofia Pernas and Hadi Tabbal visited Kirtland Air Force Base and wrapped up their first-ever USO tour, the cast members are urging fans to join them and the USO in becoming a Force Behind the Forces by sending a message of support to our nation’s service men and women today at USO.org/Messages.Cast of NBC’s The Brave visit with service members and their families during USO tour to Kirtland Air Force BaseCredit/Copyright: Fred Greaves“I come from a military family… Throughout my adult life, I’ve been very involved. I worked with the VA for a year, started a charity to help veterans that come back from Iraq and Afghanistan with PTSD, all kinds of different stuff,” said Mike Vogel. “For me, this is kind of a dream job, to be able to continue to hopefully honor and tell the story of sacrifice and service that you all live on a daily basis.” ”A lot of what I believed has only been reinforced,” added Natacha Karam. “The amount of sacrifice it takes, the commitment, dedication to the corps. The thing that opened my eyes was that I didn’t realize that groups like this existed. The stories that don’t make the news, the faces that don’t get to be seen as heroes on TV, I think it’s amazing that we get to shed light on this.”Force Behind the Forces is the USO’s brand awareness campaign, that encourages the American public to demonstrate their appreciation for and support of those who selflessly serve our nation.Earlier this month, the cast members did just that… having spent the day learning about military operations, extending their heartfelt gratitude and even treating airmen to an advance USO screening of their new drama. The morale boosting visit is just one example of how the USO strengthens service members by keeping them connected to family, home and country throughout their service to the nation.The USO tour kicked off with a visit to the 351st Battlefield Airman Training Squadron – Kirtland Air Force Bases’ new squadron which houses the US Air Force Pararescue and Combat Rescue Officer School that aid airmen for the battlefield – and a private USO meet & greet. A short time later, the cast joined airmen and their families for an advance screening of NBC’s “The Brave” then opened the floor to a USO Q&A, where each star expressed their heartfelt appreciation to America’s armed forces and their families and took time out to personally greet them.
MONTREAL – Canadian home sales are expected to drop to their lowest level in three years in 2018, driven largely by a decline in Ontario, the Canadian Real Estate Association said Friday.The association expects that 495,100 homes will be sold next year after downgrading its sales forecast for 2017 on a 9.9 per cent drop in August compared with a year ago.It expects sales will fall 2.3 per cent in 2018 following a 5.3 per cent decline this year to 506,000, or 20,000 fewer than previously forecast in June.Seasonally adjusted sales in August rose 1.3 per cent from the prior month — the first gain in five months — due to a 14.3 per cent boost in the Greater Toronto Area. Still, sales in this area were down 35 per cent from a year ago.Benjamin Reitzes of BMO Capital Markets said the August data suggests the worst may have passed for the GTA following Ontario policy changes to restrict foreign buyers, but the future is unclear.“The Bank of Canada’s rate hikes should help contain any renewed exuberance, but if things do heat up again, expect policymakers to step in before too long,” he wrote in a report.RBC Capital Markets senior economist Robert Hogue said last month’s numbers show that Canada’s housing market isn’t becoming “unhinged.”“Our view remains that Canada’s market is in the process of transitioning to a more moderate level of activity in an environment marked by tighter policy, rising interest rates and poor affordability in certain regions,” he wrote.CREA projects sales in British Columbia and Ontario will fall by about 10 per cent in 2017, compared to record highs set in 2016.The association said sales in August were down in nearly two-thirds of all local markets, led by the Greater Toronto Area and nearby housing markets.In Vancouver, August sales were up 7.3 per cent from July and 21.3 per cent higher than a year ago.“Experience shows that homebuyers watch mortgage rates carefully and that recent interest rate increases will prompt some to make an offer before rates move higher, while moving others to the sidelines,” stated CREA President Andrew Peck.The average price for a home sold last month was $472,247, up 3.6 per cent compared to a year ago. Greater Toronto was up 3.1 per cent and Greater Vancouver 17.9 per cent.Excluding these regions, the national average price was $373,859.The national average price is forecast to rise by 3.4 per cent to $507,700 in 2017, lower than its prior forecast because of fewer luxury home sales in the Greater Golden Horseshoe region of Ontario.However, it is expected to dip by 0.6 per to $503,500 next year largely reflecting that a record number of high-end home sales around Toronto earlier this year likely won’t be repeated in 2018.Newfoundland and Labrador sales this year are forecast to decrease by 8.1 per cent, and Saskatchewan down four per cent.Alberta is projected to have the country’s largest increase at 7.4 per cent, but that’s still below the provincial 10-year average.Sales are forecast to grow 5.4 per cent in Quebec and 5.7 per cent in New Brunswick.Manitoba and Quebec are the only two provinces expected to set new annual sales records in 2017, while sales in New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island are on track to come up just short of all-time record levels.
The Canadian Press TORONTO — General Motors says it has reaffirmed plans to close the Oshawa Assembly Plant in meetings with the Ontario and federal governments.Company CEO Mary Barra met briefly with federal Economic Development Minister Navdeep Bains Monday on the sidelines of an auto show in Detroit, and company executives met with Ontario Premier Doug Ford earlier on Tuesday.The company says it told both governments that it intends to continue to be a major manufacturer in Canada with its Ingersoll and St. Catharines plants and an expanded automotive research base.GM announced in late November that it would wind down its Oshawa operations by the end of 2019 at a loss of about 2,600 unionized workers and 340 other staff.Bains said in a statement that he urged the company to reconsider the Oshawa closure, and regrets that the company’s position hasn’t changed.He said the federal government stands ready to play an active role to find a solution for Oshawa’s workers.
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Coldest Night of the Year Walkathon Fundraiser took place on Saturday, February 23rd, 2019. The walk was a big success in raising funds for Community Bridge.“We raised almost $22,000,” said the event organizer Faye Anstey, “Despite the coldest temperatures we have seen since we started the walk in 2017, we saw 70 brave souls come out and participate.”The Annual Event starts and finishes at the Northern Lights College, which can be either a 2km or 5km walk from the College to the Credit Union and then back to the college. Money raised goes to Community Bridge who is committed to creating a safe, caring environment for people to nurture their emotional and social well-being.Anstey thanks their main Sponsor Surerus Pipeline and the ‘Rest Stop’ sponsors North Peace Savings and Credit Union, Rumble Industries, Finning Cat and to the Northern Lights College for the ‘Start and End’ Location as well as the delicious Chili to warm everyone up at the end of the night.To visit the official site; CLICK HERE To visit Community Bridge FB Page; CLICK HERE